Return to the Home Page Home
History - Who we are History - Who we are
Legal Requirements and driving licences Legal Requirements and driving licences
About your CBT About your CBT
Motorcycle tests Motorcycle tests
Advanced Rider Training Advanced Rider Training
Instructors Page Instructors Page
Contact Us Contact Us
What our Pupil's say What our Pupil's say
Green Lanes Green Lanes
Links Links
conversions conversions
Mod 2 Test Questions and Answers Mod 2 Test Questions and Answers
What test do i need to take?.
Moped and motorcycle test consist of two separate parts - a theory test and a practical two module test and There are four categories of full licence to look at :-  

Category AM - moped.

Sub-category A1 - light motorcycle licence, which restricts riders to any bike up to 125cc and a power output of 14.6bhp (11kW).

Sub-category A2 - medium motorcycle licence, which restricts riders to any bike up to 46.6bhp (35kw).

Category A - standard motorcycle licence.



The first part of taking your test is the Theory Part.  Everyone has to do it and there are no exceptions regardless of your age or how long you have had your Driving Licence.( However you do not need to take a theory test if you already hold a full licence for another category of motorcycle or have passsed a moped test since 1 July 1996.)
 The Theory has 50 multiple choice questions on the High Way Code and other general motoring matters, some of which will be to do with Motorcycles.  The pass park is 43 out of the 50 questions.  As part of the same test you will also have a Hazard Perception test, which will come in the form of 14, 1 minute clips of moving traffic, where you have to spot the Developing Hazard.  You are scored on how early you see the hazard.  You will have to gain 43 or more out of a possible 75 points.  

Things that will help you with your Theory 

*     Have your own set of CD Roms for your PC.

*     Give yourself at least a week to revise.

REVISE is the key word.  The only people that we find who do not pass their theory have not done their revision.  Remember if you don't understand anything about what is required on the theory test RING US!!!!


The theory test pass certificate is valid for two years.  If you do not pass the practical test within this period you will need to re-take the theory test successfully.


Category AM - the practical test can be taken on a moped.

Sub-Category A1 - the practical tests must be taken on a bike of between 120cc and 125cc.

Sub-Category A2 - the practical tests must be taken on a bike of at least 395cc and an engine power of at least 33bhp (25kw) not exceeding 46.6(35kw) with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2w/kg not derived from a vehicle more than double its power.




If you do not already hold a full motorcycle licence you may, after completing CBT and passing the theory test, take the practical test on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 53.6 (40kW).  A pass would then allow you to ride any bike.  All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike of a large bike.  You may practise for the practical test on a large bike provided you :

* are accompanied AT ALL TIMES by an authorised Direct Access instructor who is riding another bike and in radio contact.

* wear fluorescent or reflective clothing.

* follow all other provisional licence restrictions.


If you already hold a full motorcycle licence and reach age 24 while still within the two year restricted period and wish to ride bikes larger than 46.6bhp (35kW), you may practice and take a further test on a large bike.  The same test and practice conditions set out above for Direct Access riders apply AT ALL TIMES while you are riding a large bike.  Although you revert to learner status while practising, test failure will not affect your existing motorcycle licence entitlement.




© Cardiff Motorcycle School 2024